ObjectivesThe objectives of the course completed by the practical sessions are:
- Understand what IP Rights are appropriate to protect your innovations;
- Identify innovations that may be patentable;
- Analyze a patent, understand the main information, and get an idea of its potential legal scope;
- Interpret a discussion with an IP expert to make a business decision!
SyllabusThis course aims at giving concrete knowledge regarding IP Rights, and more especially patents. Topics which are covered include:
- description of IP Rights (trademarks, patents, patent designs, copyright) that an entrepreneur may use to protect its innovation and their specificities
- Choice of keeping secret or publishing vs. taking patents; what is an exclusive right (and what it is not);
- How to enforce IP rights (through licensing or litigation);
- What innovation may be patented (patentability law will be approached mainly through examples);
- Who is entitled to obtain patents (employees' inventions);
- The patent document and the different types of patents.
Practical sessionsPractical work through free access databases and a role play will enable to make concepts discussed during the lecture more concrete.
Evaluation mechanism : 45 minutes written test.
Last Modification : Tuesday 28 February 2017